The Secretary of Health issued a directive on March 26 that requires that businesses limit person-to-person contact and maintain appropriate social distancing of at least six feet to prevent the spread of the virus.
Phase 1 Guidelines
Retail stores shall implement the following social distancing protocols:
- Limit the number of people who can enter the facility at any one time to ensure that six feet social distancing can be maintained.
- Consider implementing a “One Person Out/One Person In” policy.
- Although garden centers are generally “open-air,” they are confined spaces and should be held to the same restriction.
- Areas where lines may form should be marked on the floor to provide customers six feet of separation in all directions. Where this is not possible due to the proximity of the point-of-sale machines, some point-of-sale machines should be closed to provide six feet of separation between customers.
- Two-sided checkout lanes should be restricted to one side only.
- Provide mask and gloves to employees who wish to use them.
- Provide an alcohol-based hand sanitizer for employee and customer use when entering the store.
- Implement contactless payment systems or provide for disinfection of all point-of-sale machines including pens and styluses after each use.
- Clean and sanitize surfaces that are frequently touched (counters, doorknobs, toilets, point-of-sale machines, etc.). Products with EPA-approved emerging viral pathogen claims are expected to be effective against COVID-19. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for these products.
- Post a sign at the entrance of the facility informing all employees, customers and congregants that they should avoid entering the facility if they have a cough or fever; maintain a minimum six-foot distance from one another; sneeze and cough into one’s elbow; refrain from shaking hands or engaging in any unnecessary physical contact.
- Employees should stay home if they are sick or have been in contact with someone who has been diagnosed with COVID-19.
- Encourage one-way traffic within your store to prevent close customer contact.
- Non-food contact surfaces may be sanitized with 1/2 cup of regular, unscented bleach per gallon of water. Allow the solution/spray to sit on the surface for five minutes before wiping away.
- Install temporary “sneeze-guards” between the point-of-sale employees and the customers where possible.
- Encourage online shopping when possible to limit person-to-person interaction.